Archive for the Surgery Category

Cat ate your…Dinosaur?

Here’s a cute story with a happy ending from Dr. Danielle Sawyer at ACCESS Specialty Animal Hospital–South Bay.

Mr. Pickles is a high energy, playful, and very handsome one-year-old Bengal cat who presented to ACCESS Specialty Animal Hospital—South Bay after 36 hours of profuse vomiting.

Presenting somewhat dehydrated with abdominal pain, our emergency and critical care department got to work determining the problem. Abdominal x-rays revealed extremely distended loops of bowel with fluid and gas, which pointed to obstruction. The ER team worked closely with the internal medicine department to perform an ultrasound and diagnose a definite obstruction in the mid-intestines.

Board-certified surgeon, Dr. Tammy DaCosta Gomez, was called in and more than happy to come in on her day off to remove the item causing the obstruction. To her surprise, she found a toy dinosaur!

Mr. Pickles did beautifully in the hospital and was able to return home the following day. Luckily for Mr. Pickles, our teamwork saved his life, and he will live another day to play with his toys, but no more tiny dinosaurs! Instead, we recommend watching Little Foot on TV rather than eating him!

Share

Saving Bhakti the Lynx

Bhakti is a Lynx that is in the care of an approved sanctuary and she wasn’t doing well.

At just five years old, she was experiencing lameness and ataxia, meaning she wasn’t in full control of her movements. Bhakti wasn’t able to jump, run or play – until she met Dr. Jeremy O’Neill and Dr. Yonathan Buks!

Check out our video to learn more.

*Certain exotic animals, like Bhakti the Lynx, are not meant to be kept as pets. She’s in the care of a sanctuary and is not kept as a house pet. Speak with a veterinarian, zoologist, or exotic animal professional when looking for a proper avian or exotic pet.

Share

Dog Swallows Pantyhose for The Second Time.

Sometimes when you’re a surgeon, you find weird things.

Sometimes, you find them twice!

Dr. Buks is seen here removing pantyhose from the belly of a Sheltie for the second time!

If your pet has a tendency to eat things they shouldn’t, make sure you keep an eye on them.😉

Share

How Gorilla Glue Can Kill Your Dog.

We all know our pets shouldn’t eat things that aren’t pet food, but sometimes they can’t resist eating something they shouldn’t!

It may seem obvious that Gorilla Glue is one of the top items to keep out of reach, but toxicity surprisingly isn’t the main concern with this common adhesive—it’s how it works.

Once swallowed, Gorilla Glue begins to expand and harden in the stomach. It becomes impossible for the pet (or even human) to pass or vomit it, causing a serious blockage. It can only be removed surgically and even then it needs to be addressed quickly.

Here, we see board-certified surgeon, Dr. Yonathan Buks,with what looks like a geode. A closer look reveals it’s actually a lump of solidified Gorilla Glue surrounding some kibble that he removed from a puppy’s stomach.

Be sure to keep non-food items away from your pet’s reach, and to call your veterinarian immediately if they come in contact with a dangerous substance.

Share

Welcome, Dr. Kim!

This week we welcomed Dr. James Kim, a board-certified surgeon, to our surgery team!

Here, he performs a fracture repair with Dr. Talli Hogen with assistance by several surgery team members.

dr-james-kim

Share

Snuggles Before Surgery…

Rhianna is an RVT who works in the surgery department at ACCESS San Fernando Valley. She’s seen here snuggling a very sweet pup while anesthesia medication is administered.

Our staff is highly trained in safe anesthesia protocol, and while it may not be in a textbook, snuggles and love are always included in our process.

Rhianna

Share

How a Balloon Fixed This Pit’s Heart.

Cranberry-at-ACCESS

Cranberry-sittingCranberry was diagnosed with severe pulmonary stenosis when she was just a few months old, meaning flow of blood from the right ventricle of the heart to the pulmonary artery was obstructed, causing pressure and stress on the heart.

Depending on the severity of the obstruction, it can cause issues like a murmur, an arrhythmia, or even congestive heart failure. Upon diagnosis, Cranberry’s regular veterinarian referred her over to Dr. Steve Cole, the head of Cardiology at ACCESS San Fernando Valley.

Cranberry was part of the rescue group Angel City Pits, who after meeting with Dr. Cole, decided they wanted to pursue a procedure that would correct the issue. Dr. Cole teamed up with Dr. Yonathan Buks, one of the surgeons at ACCESS, to perform a balloon valvuloplasty in our interventional radiology suite. Using fluoroscopy, they were able to see a live x-ray of Cranberry’s heart. They made a small incision to insert a catheter that was used to guide the balloon (see below) the exact point needed to repair Cranberry’s heart. The balloon was successfully inflated at the point of the obstruction to open the path and allow blood to flow properly.

Cranberry made a full recovery and will now live a full, healthy life. She’s now considered a “foster fail” as her original foster mom decided to adopt her and officially make her a part of the family! We are so happy we were able to help Cranberry and thrilled that she has found a loving forever home.

If you would like to support Angel City Pits, please visit www.angelcitypits.org

ACCESS-Dr-Cole-Dr-Buks-Prep
ACCESS-balloon-valvuloplasty
ACCESS-Dr-Cole-Dr-Buks

Share

Max the Terrific Tripawd…

Max is a lovable Pit Bull mix who came into our Los Angeles emergency room after being hit by a car in early 2016.

Luckily, Max was okay except for his front leg that was very badly injured. After the careful evaluations by our specialists and learning about all of their options, Max’s parents decided that the best course of action would be to amputate the leg. Even though Max’s injury was serious, he never lost his sweet and upbeat demeanor! Max wagged his tail during his examinations and gave kisses whenever he could. Before surgery, Max was snuggled by doctors and staff members and given medication to keep him comfortable.

The surgery was performed by one of our board-certified surgeons, Dr. Kim Carey and was very successful. After his procedure, Max was kept in our emergency room for 24×7 monitoring where he was given medication, love, and when he was ready, food. Our staff and Max’s family worked together to make sure Max healed up appropriately and learned how to walk on three legs safely.

In no time Max was up and running and we were thrilled to see him doing so well when he came back to us for a recheck!

Max

Max-2

Max-3

Share

Dr. Buks is Boarded!

After having completed veterinary school, an internship, and a residency in surgery, Dr. Yonathan Buks has worked diligently to further his education…  

Now, after years of hard work and long, late hours, he has successfully completed an intensive written examination, along with a required publication accepted by peer-reviewed journals, and  is a board-certified surgeon – in other words, a surgical specialist.

We are delighted to be able to celebrate his accomplishments – which also allows ACCESS Specialty Animal Hospitals to provide six day board-certified surgical coverage in the San Fernando Valley.

Outside the operating room, Dr. Buks, who is fluent in English and Hebrew, enjoys downhill skiing, cycling, cooking, and spending time with his wife and two kids, as well as the household cat named Betty.

 

Yonathan-Buks-Board-Certification

Share

Sarah’s Survivor Party

Sara's-Anniversary-Party-with-Dr-Norris
 
“If she makes it two years, I’ll throw her a party!” said Dr. Jana Norris.

Two years ago, Dr. Norris, the head board-certified surgeon at ACCESS, San Fernando Valley, performed a triple ventral slot procedure on Sarah, a procedure which would prevent this adult dog from becoming fully paralyzed. During the procedure, Dr. Norris found that she also had a thyroid anaplastic acinar carcinoma, an aggressive form of cancer.

This was tough news for the then ten-year-old dog and her family, but her owners were determined. They faced each challenge head on, not willing to give up on their furry family member. Sarah was able to be treated for her cancer by the Veterinary Cancer Group, and was eventually pushed through to remission by the wonderful specialists there.

Then, in August of 2015, we threw a party for Sarah the dog.

Sarah’s battle and recovery are truly amazing and it’s a case like this that reminds each of us why we are here and keep us grateful for the advances in veterinary medicine that make it possible for us to treat beloved animals. “Her prognosis with aggressive high grade and high stage cancer was poor all along, so it is amazing that she made it to two years post-op. That is a very good response to therapy and survival time after this diagnosis.” says Dr. Jana Norris.

We were happy to see Sarah back at our hospital, but this time, in our conference room! Dr. Norris provided a super-dog costume for super Sarah, who dined on gourmet dog treats; while the humans snacked on pizza. Sarah and her family brought a beautiful cake for the staff, and we all spent time talking about Sarah’s initial visit, her diagnosis, subsequent surgeries, and treatments.

We celebrate our patients each and every day, but it was nice to set aside special time for Sarah and her family.

Sara's-Anniversary-Party-with-Dr-Norris-B

Share

Locations

South Bay

2551 W. 190th St., Torrance, CA 90504

Tel: (310) 320-8300 - Fax: (424) 293-7254

Los Angeles

9599 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232

Tel: (310) 558-6100 - Fax: (310) 558-6199

San Fernando Valley

20051 Ventura Blvd., Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Tel: (818) 887-2262 - Fax: (818) 704-0323

Click here for maps (and to find directions)

Font Resize
Contrast