Archive for the ACCESS San Fernando Valley Category

Sticks and Stones May Break Your Bones, But Our ER Can Help!

Astro is a six-year-old Husky who came in contact with the business end of a stick.

He went out in the yard to use the bathroom and when he came back inside, his owners were shocked to see a stick lodged in his left eye! Our emergency doctors were able to remove the stick successfully while Astro was under anesthesia and found that the stick had caused an ulcer on his eye. He didn’t need any stiches, but he will be on medication for the next few days to prevent any further injury or infection. Astro was back to being himself and unsurprisingly was very relieved once the stick was removed.

No foul play is suspected, other than that of a dog who played a little too hard outside.




 

Share

The Woolsey Fire and Tipper’s Story…

WARNING: Graphic photos included.

Tipper, a young male cat, was found by ABC7 Reporter, Veronica Miracle, during the Woolsey Fire. According to Veronica, firefighters pulled Tipper from his burning home. Veronica then called around trying to find somewhere that could help him—that’s when she found ACCESS Specialty Animal Hospital at Woodland Hills in the San Fernando Valley.

Tipper was admitted to the ICU on November 9th to be treated for severe burns and smoke inhalation. He had significant burns on his paws, belly, and chest, and had a wound over his right hip, which was surgically repaired. He had a feeding tube placed to ensure he was getting all the nutrients he needed to get better.

Thankfully, Tipper is microchipped, which made it possible for us to find his owners and reunite them while he was being treated!

After almost three weeks in the hospital, Tipper went home to be with his family on November 27th. He’s going to need regular bandage changes and he’s continuing his antibiotics and pain medication at home to keep him comfortable and continue the healing process.

Share

Grilling up good times…

Our San Fernando Valley hospital had a little cookout for the team this week and it was a blast! The team especially enjoyed our vegan options.






Share

Dog Gets A Pacemaker In The Valley

Dr. Amelia Sinkin is a veterinary cardiologist, and just like human cardiologists, she sometimes has to implant a pacemaker in her patient.

A pacemaker monitors the heart to make sure everything is working properly. If the pacemaker detects an irregularity, it will send an electrical pulse to the heart to help get it back on track.

Share

We Did the Wii Dance Challenge!

Our three hospitals went head-to-head in creating their own Wii Dance Challenge videos!

Who do you think did the best?

Go to our YouTube Channel to ‘like’ and comment on the video so we can see your votes!

ACCESS – South Bay

ACCESS – Los Angeles

ACCESS – San Fernando Valley

 

Share

Saving Bhakti the Lynx

Bhakti is a Lynx that is in the care of an approved sanctuary and she wasn’t doing well.

At just five years old, she was experiencing lameness and ataxia, meaning she wasn’t in full control of her movements. Bhakti wasn’t able to jump, run or play – until she met Dr. Jeremy O’Neill and Dr. Yonathan Buks!

Check out our video to learn more.

*Certain exotic animals, like Bhakti the Lynx, are not meant to be kept as pets. She’s in the care of a sanctuary and is not kept as a house pet. Speak with a veterinarian, zoologist, or exotic animal professional when looking for a proper avian or exotic pet.

Share

Mighty Mouse!

‘Little Mouse’ came to see the cardiology team at ACCESS San Fernando Valley.

We love the quality time we get with our patients, and the opportunity to bond with them!

Share

Loving Lela…

Lela came to see board-certified cardiologist, Dr. Steve Cole, and stole the hearts of everyone she saw!

 

Share

Dog Swallows Pantyhose for The Second Time.

Sometimes when you’re a surgeon, you find weird things.

Sometimes, you find them twice!

Dr. Buks is seen here removing pantyhose from the belly of a Sheltie for the second time!

If your pet has a tendency to eat things they shouldn’t, make sure you keep an eye on them.😉

Share

How Gorilla Glue Can Kill Your Dog.

We all know our pets shouldn’t eat things that aren’t pet food, but sometimes they can’t resist eating something they shouldn’t!

It may seem obvious that Gorilla Glue is one of the top items to keep out of reach, but toxicity surprisingly isn’t the main concern with this common adhesive—it’s how it works.

Once swallowed, Gorilla Glue begins to expand and harden in the stomach. It becomes impossible for the pet (or even human) to pass or vomit it, causing a serious blockage. It can only be removed surgically and even then it needs to be addressed quickly.

Here, we see board-certified surgeon, Dr. Yonathan Buks,with what looks like a geode. A closer look reveals it’s actually a lump of solidified Gorilla Glue surrounding some kibble that he removed from a puppy’s stomach.

Be sure to keep non-food items away from your pet’s reach, and to call your veterinarian immediately if they come in contact with a dangerous substance.

Share

Locations

South Bay

2551 W. 190th St., Torrance, CA 90504

Tel: (310) 320-8300 - Fax: (424) 293-7254

Los Angeles

9599 Jefferson Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232

Tel: (310) 558-6100 - Fax: (310) 558-6199

San Fernando Valley

20051 Ventura Blvd., Woodland Hills, CA 91364

Tel: (818) 887-2262 - Fax: (818) 704-0323

Click here for maps (and to find directions)

Font Resize
Contrast